3.2. Telephoning

...Continue...

Taking a message for someone

  • Sammy's not in. Who's this? (informal)
  • I'm sorry, Lisa's not here at the moment. can I ask who's calling?
  • I'm afraid he's stepped out. Would you like to leave a message?
  • He's on lunch right now. Who's calling, please?
  • She's busy right now. Can you call again later?
  • I'll let him know you called.
  • I'll make sure she gets the message.

Leaving a message with someone

  • Yes, can you tell him his wife called, please?
  • No, that's OK. I'll call back later.
  • Yes, it's james from Comp inc. here. When do you expect her back in the office?
  • Thanks. Could you ask him to call Brian when he gets in?
  • Do you have a pencil handy? I don't think he has my number.
  • Thanks. My number is 222-3456, extension 12.

Confirming information

  • OK, I've got it all down.
  • Let me repeat that just to make sure.
  • Did you say 555 Charles Street?
  • You said your name was John, right?
  • I'll make sure he gets the message.

Listening to an answering machine

  • Hello. You've reached 222-6789. Please leave a detailed message after the beep. thank you.
  • Hai this is Elizabeth. I'm sorry I'm not available to take your call at this time. Leave me a message and I'll get back to you as soon as I can.
  • Thank you for calling Dr. Mindin's office. Our hours are 9 to 5 p.m., Monday to Friday. Please call back during these hours or leave a message after the tone. If this is an emergency please call the hospital at 333-9876.

Leaving a message on answering machine

  • Hai Mikako. It's yuka. call me. (informal)
  • Hello, this is Ricardo calling for Luke. Could you please return my call as soon as possible? My number is 334-2345. Thank you.
  • Hello maxwell. This is Marina from the doctor's office calling. I just wanted to let you know that you're due for a check-up this month. Please give us a ring whenever it's convenient.

Finishing a conversation

  • Well, I guess I better get going. Talk to you soon.
  • Thanks for calling. Bye for now.
  • I have to let you go now.
  • I have another call coming through. I better run.
  • I'm afraid that's my other line.
  • I'll talk to you again soon. Bye.

All right students, the above phrases are the example that those words are usually used in daily conversation on the phone. But, I'm sure that the situation is always different, so you must know the condition and used the proper phrases in making phone call.

And, now I want you to see the example of phoning dialogue:

Operator: Hello, Frank and Brothers. How can I help you?

Peter: This is Peter Jackson. can I have extension 13?

Operator: Certainly, hold on a minute. I'll put you through.

Frank: Bob Peterson's office. Frank speaking.

Peter: This is Peter jackson calling, is Bob in?

Frank: I'm afraid he's out at the moment. Can i take a message?

Peter: Yes, could you ask him to call me at this number 333-7568. i need to talk to him about the Nouvo line, it's urgent.

Frank: Could you repeat the number, please?

Peter: Yes, that's 333-7568, and this is Peter Jackson.

Frank: Thank you Mr. jackson. I;ll make sure Bob gets this ASAP.

Peter: Thanks. Bye.

Frank: Bye.

Now answer these questions:

  1. How many people in that dialogue?
  2. Who needs who? What is it?
  3. What does ASAP stand for?

Exercise

Imagine that you're Ming. While your father was out,someone called. You took down the message.

Someone: Hello, may I speak to Mr. Goh, please?

You: I'm sorry, my father's not in. Who's that calling?

Someone: I'm Samy from Bright Electrical Store. Can you let him know that we will be delivering the TV set he ordered yesterday.

You: Sure. I'll let him know.

Someone: Could you also remind him to pay the balance of $100 to the delivery man? Thank you.

You: You're welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment