used

We use used to do to talk about the past. It is not a tense but it is like a tense. It is a special expression. We use the expression used to do for the past only. Look at these examples:
- She used to work in a shop. (It means that in the past time, she worked in a shop, but now she doesn't work in a shop, she works in a bank or office or others).
- They used to be married. (it means that they were married, but now they are divorced)
Now, try some exercises like the example, are as follow:
Example: I used to live alone, but no longer I live alone.
1. I ...... a pack of cigarette, but now I don't smoke.
2. I always go to school by car, but 3 years ago I .......... on foot.
3. Tina ...... by typewriter to finish her job, but now she uses laptop.
4. Tom ......... alone to school, now he goes together with Tina.
5. I didn't ....... English because I didn't understand it, but now I speak English with everyone.
6. Our family didn't ....... breakfast, but today we have breakfast every morning before going to work.
7. I ....... at home, but now I go everywhere around the world.
8. I ....... a salesman, but now I am the manager.
9. My mother ........ chicken soup, but now she cooks 'rendang'.
10. I didn't ........ a car, now I drive car to work.

No comments:

Post a Comment